A brief update on our Second Quarter activities follows…
- During May, the new RabunYES.org website was launched. Our new website now contains much information as to our activities, governance, gift giving, news, etc. Reaction has been quite positive as to the site and it’s content. Check it out!
- Youth Leadership Scholarship applications have been coming in for the $500 award to a graduating high school senior from Rabun County. There still is time to reply with an application deadline of July 15. The award decision will be made on July 31. Requests for applications may be made via an email request with “Scholarship Application Request” in the subject line to: RabunGA.Youth@gmail.com
- By mid-June, a free educational tutorial will be made available titled “Transitioning to Homeschooling in Georgia” as presented by an expert educator who also does homeschooling with her 8th The presentation covers key points as to how to begin homeschooling, the challenges encountered and resources available to guide a parent through curriculum selection and support materials.
- Listen for local radio advertising over late June into July as RabunYES promotes the above free homeschool tutorial. RabunYES continues to reach out to the community and inform the county as to what is available. Youth organizations may also request an in-person one hour & 20-minute session on family budgeting & finance, titled “Personal Finance 101.” The session is available with Q&A in Spanish as an option for those with a marginal understanding of English. Groups such as churches, Scouting, FFA and 4-H are invited to schedule this lecture (subject to future social distancing rules in GA).
- The Youth Center Project as announced in April 2019 continues forward in planning. The COVID-19 crisis has delayed some of the fundraising activities, however, they are expected to pick up again in the Fall once things stabilize and social distancing becomes less of an issue.
- We continued using AmazonSmile with a link to assisting both Scouting BSA organizations. Contact Lisa Broz (firstname.lastname@example.org) for instructions as to signing up for this service at no cost. It benefits Scouting with every Amazon purchase you make.
- RabunYES awaits word as to a $5,000 foundation grant request submitted in late February to a philanthropic organization. The funds, if successful, would be applied toward assisting with the Youth Center project.
A gift of any amount is greatly appreciated, either toward general youth support programs or the Youth Center campaign; checks get made out to “RabunYES” mailed c/o Tom Buckridge, PO Box 283, Clayton, GA 30525. Of course, the new website accepts gifts via its PayPal link easily found on the website’s “donate” page… https://www.rabunyes.org/donate/
RabunYES is a tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization, Fed Tax ID 81-3418023 with a State of Georgia Charitable Org Permit # CH014407 at Georgia’s Secretary of State.
Rabun Youth Educational Support, Inc. (aka RabunYES)